Remedies for all seasons
Home > Health > Remedies > Home Remedies
Cold,cough,fever,diarrhoea,and colic are some of the common ailments which mothers have to deal with every day.
Pumping in medicines on a regular basis can eventually cause more harm.Most of us would prefer giving home remedies which cure common ailments ,unless in severe cases where a doctor needs to be consulted.
Of course a good healthy diet always prevents sickness ,but with so many birthday parties ,congested classrooms and a polluted environment we really can do little to avoid common colds,throat infection etc.The recipes here have been tried and tested for years and have worked like magic.
FOR COMMON COLDS, COUGH,SORE THROAT
- 8 cups of water.
- 15-20 leaves with stems basil [tulsi].
- 15-20 leaves with stems mint[pudina].
- to taste jaggery[donot substitute with honey or sugar]
- 1-2 sticks cinamon[dalchini].
- 3-4 cloves[lavang].
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder[kalimirchi].
- Large pinch of turmeric powder [haldi].
- Small pich of rock salt[sanchal].
Brew together all the ingredients for 6-7 minutes and store [along with the spices] in ajar & keep in the fridge.Whenever required, pour out a small cup reheat[like tea] and drink this three times a day ,for quick relief and cure.
- Peel and cube an apple or a banana; add little sugar and cook it till it softens and feed the child.
- Extract the juice of a full pomegranate and let the child drink it immediately.
- Plain toasted bread with black coffee helps older children.
FOR STY[Inflamed swelling on edge of eyelid]
- Mix a large pinch of asafoetida[hing]with hot water to make a thin paste and apply on the naval,it relieves the colic immediately.
- Older children can be given a glass full of soda water with 1/2 teaspoon of rock salt and crushed mint leaves.
SEVERE COLD AND HEADACHE [DUE TO COLD]
- Soak some pava[approx 3 tbsp] in enough water to cover the pava for ten minutes.Once they are softput it in a clean white bandage like cloth and tie arouind the eye for 15 minutes threetimes a day; the sty sbsides.
- Rub a clove in watert to a paste and apply on the sty;within a day or two you will get relief.
- Crush a tablespoon of mustard seeds with a rolling pin on a board,mix with hot water into a thick paste and apply on the fore head and the nose,till it dries.Wash it with warm water.
MILD BLEADING [DUE TO MINOR INJURY]
- Immediately put a good amount of turmeric powder on the injury to stop the blood.It works as an antiseptic.
- Appy pure ghee or honey or ice for immediate inflamation relief.
- Apply some sandalwood paste on the bite.
- Neem leaf paste is also very effective for the mosquito bite.It not only relieves the itching but also clears the marks which are left by scratching.
LICE IN THE HAIR
- 2 tablespoons of white sesame seads[til] grind together with hot milk to make a thick paste and tie in a white clean bandage like cloth and tie it aroud the affected area for 2-3 hours and repeat in intervals till the boil bursts.
- Boil a bunch of neem leaves in water and cool.After a shampoo,use the neem water as a last rinse.This helps in clearing and getting rid of the lice,if used regularly.