General knowledge
Home >General Knowledge > Passport

What you know about passport

What are the documents to be attached when applying for a fresh passport?:-

1.Proof of Residence(two photocopies of any of the following): Ration card/Election Commission voter identity card/water tax,electricity or telephone bills (of the last three months) or running bank account (of last one year) or an appointment letter of reputed company on their letterhead.

2.Proof of Date of Birth(two photocopies of any of the following):school leaving certificate issued by school boards.In case of those born on or after 26-01-1989 only birth certificates issued by municipal authorities or office of Registrar of Births and deaths. You can submit an affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating nationality and date of birth.

3.Proof of qualification(two photocopies of any of the following):For ECNR-Emigration Check Not Required cases only:degree certificate issued by recognised university/three years income tax returns in a row/three years diploma certificate issued by technical boards/provisional certificate with marks cards of all years/semisters in case degree not awarded.

4.No Oblection Certificate(NOC):(For Central/State Govt/Public sector Undertaking/Statutary Body Employees)-NOC in original with establishment number and date.NOC should be valid for three months at the time of submission of application form.

You should sign all the photocopies of the documents and originals have to be shown at the time of submission of the form at the counter.

You will also need seven identical photographs either in black and white or color(taken against a light background) of frontal full face. You cannot submit photographs in uniform or with dark glasses.

You can also collect and submit your application form and documents and fees at select post offices.If you are applying through post you also need to submit a bank draft payable in Mumbai for the fees payable.

My passport has expired .What do I do?:-

You have to make fresh application along with your old passport and photocopies of the old passport.Besides this,you also have to produce the proof of stay at the presenr address.If you work for a government outfit,thenyou need to submit a no objection certificate(NOC).

You do'nt have to wait for your passport to expire to apply for a fresh one.If the validity of your existing passport is less than one year,you can get a new passport in the same manner..Please remember that your existing passport will be cancelled when you submit a fresh application form.

How does the Tatkal scheme work?:-

The Tatkal sceme was introduced for issuing out of turn passports issued on the payment of additional fee over and above the normal passport application fees.To be eligible you have to produce documentary proof of genuine urgency and a verification certificate or where a police verifiction can be expedited.

A verification certificate (on the letterhead of issuing authority in the format shown in the application form )can be issued by the specified employees of the government outfits.A colonel and above or equivalent ranks in the Air force and the Navy and the General Manager of a Public Sector Unit can also issue a verification certificate.

You have to sumit your application form with the prescribed documents and fees,and then meet Passport Officer/Asst.Passport Officer (through an appointment that can be got at the enquiry counter).Based on a clear police report (or verification certificate) and a proof of urgency,you will be given priority and asked to collect passport on a specified date.

Tatkal services can also be used for reissue of new booklet where old passport is damaged or lost or has expired.However,remember that discretion on issuance of Tatkal passport finally rests with the passport officer.

How do I change my maiden name in my existing passport to my married name?:-

If you are applying for a change of name or surname in your existing passport after your marriage,you need to furnish the photocopy of your husband's passport(if he has one),a self attested copy of your marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriage or an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph.You can apply for a passport with documents like residence proof. Marriage certificate is not mandatory to get a passport if you are applying for a passport for the first time.

How much fee should I pay?:-

The fee for a fresh ordinary passport valid for 10 years is Rs.1000/-(36 pages) and Rs. 1500/-(for 60 pages).For a minor it is Rs.600/-.For fresh passport under the Tatkal scheme an additional fees of Rs.2500/-is payable where a fresh passport is required within 10 days of date of submission and Rs.1000/- if required within 11 ti 35 days.In certain cases like patients requiring to go abroad for medical treatment,relatives going abroad after the death of close relative abroad,etc the enhanced fee is waived.The fee for a new passport where the old passport is lost or damaged is Rs.2500/- and for a change in name and surname it is Rs. 500/-.